Yesterday's Meals

I am excited to report that we got our first email!  Thanks Deb for the advice and encouragement! 

In other news:
I get so sick of chicken and vegetables when I am dieting (and by I, I mean my husband).  So I have got to venture out and find other recipes that are low in fat, but high in flavor.  Last night, I started out with a childhood favorite- Turkey Pie.  Its easy to make and so, so yummy.  So yummy in fact, that my husband requested me to make it for his office potluck a few weeks ago!

Turkey Pie
2 T Olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 # ground turkey
1 small tart apple, unpeeled, diced
1/2 tsp. dried sage, crumbled
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 frozen pie crust

Heat oil in skillet. Saute garlic, onion over medium heat @ 5 minutes.  Add ground turkey; break up using wooden spoon.  Brown turkey; spoon off fat. Remove from heat. Add apple, sage, cinnamon, s & p to taste.  Let cool. Add egg and stir.  Spoon filling into pie crust. Bring up excess dough, folding it in toward center to create a wide border.  Bake pie in 350 degrees 30-40 minutes. Remove and let stand 5 minutes before serving.



I made it during naptime, but didn't bake it until later.  I popped it in the oven right as Chris started his commute home.  I calculated the caloric intake, and one serving is 6 points, or 300 calories.  This pie has 8 servings. 
Also, yesterday I slow cooked a bunch (like 12 lbs) of chicken after reading this.  After it was all done, deboned, and shredded I froze the cooked chicken and now I can pull it out when I have a recipe that calls for already cooked chicken.  After that I made stock with all the left over juices and bones-perfect for soups.  I forsee a lot of soups in the near future- becasue they fill you up and are usually low in fat!  Yesterday was a food making frenzy!  Now I am on to my biggest challenge- the weekend.  I can always stick to the diet plan during the week, but weekends are just so hard!  Until then, keep those emails coming!

Comments

We LOVE comments!!